Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Student Journals

As you may have read in previous posts, I start each class period with a quick 5-10 minute journal. Recently I’ve gotten some funny one and ones that are telling of Samoan culture. I thought I would share some direct quotes.....
If you could have an endless supply of 1 kinds of food, then what would it be and why?
  • “A can of spam to eat everyday, because it my favorite and not only that I can still survive with it and cookies.”
      • Yes, spam is an island staple! Ugh!
  • “Rocky roll ice cream”
      • Kids often get confused in translation: ‘rocky road’ becomes ‘rocky roll.’
  • “I would have an endless supply of pisupo (corn beef). I love pisupo, even when I was little. Aside from my love for pisupo, I can also make different dishes from it: palusami, saimin, sandwiches, soup, etc. If you don’t like pisupo ur an alien!  ....except for Ms. Jessie”
      • Samoans LOVE canned corn beef. No, this is not the fresh homemade dish but the fat filled, heart attack in a can, nasty, nasty canned corned beef. It looks like dog food, but dog food might taste better.
  • “I would just get a one caned of corned beef and to stay in a healthy mode and to gain normal cause if I don’t eat I will not get very well even may get sick and not be getting that healthy way of diet. 
      • The students are also not well educated in what a “healthy” diet entails......many of my students believe the corned beef and fried chicken along with 5 cans of soda a day = health! Oh jeez!
  • “Can of fish”
      • Aside from Spam & canned corn beef, canned fish (like tuna and mackerel) are also a top choice in Samoan menus.
  • “It would be fried chicken. I love it! We eat it almost everyday. I grew up eating fried chicken and still enjoy eating it. Its the best!”
  • “So the food I am going to eat til the end is a cheeseburger. The are that van is selling at lunch, it is sweet, nice, and tasty for me and I could eat it for the rest of the days.”
      • A van pulls up to our school each day at lunch to sell kids nasty (in some cases day old) food. Cheese burgers, sushi-like rolls, chicken and rice bowls are all on the menu. While some kids consider this a delicacy- a $1.25 cheese burger- it makes many really sick. Many times the meat has been out in the heat for way to long.
  • Samoan Food Lesson
      • pilikaki = tuna    (peel-ee-ca-key)
      • ulu = breadfruit (ou-lou)
      • pisupo = corned beef (pee-sue-po)
      • lole = candy (low-lee)
Who is your favorite cartoon character? (Samoan teenagers still LOVE cartoons)
  • “Tom and Cherry”
      • Yes, the famous cat and mouse duo now become “Tom and Cherry” rather than Tom and Jerry

Write about a memory from last semester.
  • “My memory is when on I walk into this class. It was Tuesday, I was feeling kind of tired. The next period on my schedule was Ms. Jessica Webber. The classroom was F-4. I turn the nob and I open the door. I was surprise when I saw a short palagi lady. Then I realize she was a world teacher. She seems sweet so I did not skip class, and man was I right!” 
Describe your favorite thing about someone in your family.
  • His love for us will never end. It so hard to find this kind of love in this world. It like searching for gold in the ground.   (student talking about his father)
      • Such an “aaawwwww” moment  

No comments:

Post a Comment