Thursday, March 4, 2010

New Start to the Morning

As usual, I got up, got ready, and waited at my village’s bus stop. We were about 10 minutes down the road and had just pulled over to let some new people on when SIRENS! Then a motorcycle cop got off his bike and headed to the bus drivers window all the while shouting things in Samoan that I didn’t understand. The bus driver got off the bus and headed to talk with the cop. A few minutes later the cop came back and ordered everyone off the bus. Luckily an only half full bus was passing by and pulled over to let some of us on. So the whole debacle only added an extra 10 minutes or so to my morning commute, but it left the nosy side of me wondering what happened?! 
Note: This is one of the few times I have seen a police officer on island do anything but direct traffic at Matafao Elementary each morning or lead a funeral procession. (Ooo wait! They did arrest kids after our riots a few months back!) Our island police force doesn’t seem to do much (at least in the eyes of purely an observer).

No comments:

Post a Comment