Sunday, March 21, 2010

Birthday Weekend!

Initially I was a little bummed about the thought of my birthday. The big 22 is a daunting number ;) and more than half my friends would be taking off for the week to various tropical locations to enjoy the spring break the DOE took away. 
Mom and Dad sent some supreme birthday packages and a few letters from family arrived just in time. Getting mail while on island = 7 year old Christmas morning excitement! 
I also shouldn’t have doubted Scott, Taylor, and Julia. My awesome friends pulled through for me to create an amazing birthday. Friday night festivities (in honor of B-day and Taylor and Scott’s completion of the horrific GMAT) included a Rubbles happy hour and lots of strawberry frozen margaritas. 
On Saturday I started the morning bright and early at school. We had speech festival play practice and set building. After hours of props painting, set building, and rehearsal (8am -1:30pm), I moseyed across the street to Sadie’s for some fun in the sun. 
T, S, J, and I soaked up some sun next to the pool before relocating to the beach. Tay Tay and I chatted and swam while S & J took out the kayaks. When they returned, Taylor and I headed out into the harbor. We made our way south towards the end of the harbor and were headed to check out an awesome swimming hole when we heard roaring laughter. We look over and spot a group of men hysterically laughing, cheering, and motioning to us. What was so funny? The fact that were palagi girls? in kayaks? or partaking in a little physical activity? Even after we were about 100 yards away I could still hear the distant sounds of their hyena-like noises! Oka! I’m glad we made their days. 
Finally, after showering off, we settled in for a nice oceanside dinner. We had a fabulous waitress, a Fijian named Queenie, who surprised me with a complementary, extremely delicious tropical juice cocktail. I decided to break my 13 year burger aversion and ordered the Lone Star Blue Burger (references to Texas even in Samoa). Living here I have consumed more beef than ever in my life. Normally, I primarily stick to chicken, but all of us here have noticed our inner carnivores become unleashed. (And I actually liked the burger!)
After relaxing next to the water well into the evening, we decided to call it a night. I got my birthday wish and rode in the back of the pick up truck home! More birthday fun to come next week when all of the others return from their fabulous vacays.
(pictures coming when I get them from S & T)

No comments:

Post a Comment