Thursday, March 11, 2010

Yes, I Tear Up When Students Turn In Their Projects

Yesterday was the last day my 1st period students could turn in their project for credit before quarter grades. The kids have had EIGHT weeks to complete the project. Each Thursday for the past 6 weeks 3-4 students from the class have been assigned to present their work over a famous building that had been assigned to them. Hardly anyone turned in their work on time, and over the course of the past few weeks I have delivered lecture after lecture and warning after warning about the need to turn in your project. (It is 20% of the quarter grade!) But this is the status quo for Samoan students- Usually less than half of students turn in projects/homework on time (in classes island wide, not just mine). I have been stressing over how to convince students to do their work since many will fail if they don’t turn in the assignment. I have repeatedly told the students to just turn in something, anything, just show me you tried. My policy is that if you have no zeros at the end of the quarter (even if many of your grades suck), you will NOT fail. 
So... I was teaching my 6th period when a knock on the door interrupted. I was annoyed when I saw 3 boys standing outside....”Oh jeez, they are probably skipping and inappropriately disrupting class to ask if they can talk to So-and-So,” I thought. Much to my surprise one of the boys hands me a paper in a report cover and poster, and tells me this is from T_____ (who I was scheduled to have the next class period). I ask where T_____ is at, and they explain to me that he has been in the hospital all week (that explained his unusual absences) but wanted me to have his project. 
I was so overjoyed that I couldn’t help beam. Tears welled up in my eyes (don’t judge, you would understand if you taught here), and I couldn’t force the smile off my face! A student who was in the hospital finished his project (poster and 2 page paper), put it in a freakin’ report cover (what the heck? this never happens), and found a way to get it to me since he knew it was his last chance! I was so indescribably proud. If nothing else over the course of the year I have taught this kid a level of responsibility that he had never had! I am a proud, proud momma! My work here is done. 


2 comments:

  1. Good story Jessie. I can see how this might cause the effect it had on you. If you make a difference in a couple of kids lives - you've had a lasting impact on them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww! That is so neat. I can understand how proud you were of that student. Be proud of your accomplishments there in AS too!

    ReplyDelete