Sunday, February 28, 2010

Good Food and Karaoke

Yesterday after the tsunami scare was over I slept on and off for many hours. By late afternoon I finally decided that I had to be productive and went to KoKo Bean to get some work done. KoKo Bean is a little cafe that is the closest thing to an American establishment you can get on island. The perks? Air con and coffee. (The air con is so cold that you are able to drink hot coffee without roasting!) About an hour and a half after I arrived, Kate joined me for my lesson planning party. 
At 7 we walked across the street to Jade (a small Chinese food place) for dinner with Cynthia, John, and Julia. We had the perfect meal: hot and sour soup, broccoli and tofu, eggplant szcheuan, and chicken fried rice! Yum! (and yes Mom and Dad I now eat and like broccoli, tofu, and eggplant!) After dinner we met Rosemary and made the 35-40 minute walk to the airport karaoke place. 
Samoa is weird. At our 1 gate itty bitty 80% outdoor airport, there is a restaurant with karaoke. 
When we got there the place was empty except for a group of about 8 celebrating a birthday. They were nice enough to bring over there extra fruit plate and a huge amount of cake! Free food! Score! Since there weren’t many people there, we felt no pressure to try and find hide the fact that we have awful voices. Kate and I choose ridiculous songs that we could be silly too: My Humps by Black Eyed Peas, Baby Got Back, Bohemian Rhapsody, Redneck Woman by Gretchen Wilson, and others of that nature. We also preformed without mics to every other song that played. At the end of the night, Kate proclaimed, “Jessie is my anit-drug” and I returned the sentiment. We had such a memorable, fun, silly night. 

2 comments:

  1. Maybe I should bring Rock Band out there with me. We can clean-up ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see that you are now my "anit" drug. Since the prefix "a" means "without" and nit is another word for lice, are you keeping me lice free? If so thanks!

    ReplyDelete