Friday, September 18, 2009

Storming the Point: Weekend of Kate and Jessie

After a few weeks of being sick, teaching without a voice, and experiencing some ‘blah’ days, I needed a weekend of drama-free, easy fun. I recruited Kate as my partner in crime. On Friday night I met up with the girls (Julia, Kate, Thahn, and Rosemary) for some Tian Tain dinner. We ordered some family style Chinese and feasted on wonton soup, beef noodles, cold seaweed salad, and some salt and pepper chicken! Scrumptious! After some good stories at dinner, Kate and I headed to the Leone v Fagitua football game. We were going to hitch a ride, but the night was so beautiful and breezy and we were feeling chatty, so we walked the 45-50 minutes to the stadium. The game was fun; we caught up with Raj and Jess, and showed some school spirit. I also enjoyed watching an obsessed mom. She was decked out from head to toe in yellow and green (Leone HS colors). She danced and screamed every second of the game and spun around a yellow scarf! Parents in the States would be shoot for embarrassing their kids for life, but, here, no one seemed to mind :)
After the game, we headed to “the Tafuna House” where Allison, Jung, and Adam live. We celebrated Bobby’s birthday, but I was tired and caught a ride home pretty early. 
The next day Kate and I devised an elaborate plan to “Storm The Point.” We wanted to sit on a beach and relax; Coconut Point was the perfect place. Because Max lost his phone, we couldn’t call ahead. Instead, we marched down to the house at the end of the point and brought beers of placation to make up for our announced visit. We woke up a half sleeping Max and left him dreary and confused as we dumped our stuff in side and sprinted for the ocean. It was a perfect day: clear skies, cool air, warm sun, ocean breeze, and crystal water. Kate and I lounged for hours and gossiped about life. It was pure bliss. It was only once we got out of the water that I realized how incredibly burnt I was. Kate and I then went to to oh-so-classy Carl’s Jr (but legitimately one of the nicer establishments on the island) for lunch. By this time we were in zombie mode. We felt like our brains had been fried. The air here is cool, so it doesn’t feel as hot as Houston. The sun, however, is much more intense, so it effects you much more quickly. I couldn’t believe how burnt I was after just a few hours of sun. (I could tell it was going to be a painful week). After our meal, we hitched back to my house and took a several hour nap. We had planned on going out to a movie, but instead decided to lounge at Brigit and Rosemary’s house and enjoy a movie there. Again, Kate and I were in a walking mood so we trekked the 30 minutes to their house by foot. 
Still not totally rid of cabin fever, Kate, Thahn, and I got up early and hitched a ride to Pizza Hut. (The fast food restaurants are truly the nicest buildings on the island: they are clean, have AC and outlets). We brought all our grading there and spent the afternoon being productive. I’m still not over my college addiction to working at coffee shops. Since I spent a good portion of my last year in Austin slaving away at all local shops, it’s now hard to constantly work at home..... so I guess Samoan fast food joints will have to suffice :)

No comments:

Post a Comment