Saturday, September 12, 2009

Playing Teacher

I’ve finally hit the stretch where I’m totally settled in and now living day to day life. The first year of teaching is definitely a tough gig. I seem to have endless stacks of papers to grade, lessons to prepare, and notes to type. After comparing work loads with other volunteers, I think it’s that perfectionist in me that creates quite a bit more work than necessary, but, hey, it’s what I do! :) After receiving recognition at the past 2 staff meetings and getting the first “teacher of the month” award, Matt and Max have dubbed me “teacher of the year.” They claim I work too much and show up to early, so they have come to use this nickname against me! (Of course, all in fun!) 
My classes have been going well....mostly. I have gotten all my class periods pretty much in check except for one. I have a few problem kids through out my day, but my 2-6th periods are pretty good overall! I love getting to see the students’ personalities come out, and getting to play off of them is really fun. My first period, though, is trouble! They have a lot of attitude, love to talk, and hate to do work. They are also my group with the lowest academic/english levels. Nothing has seemed to correct their attitude, but hopefully I’ll figure something out soon! My third period used to be trouble, as well, but after a few chats and assignments about ‘respect,’ they are my new angels! They come in, start working, and follow directions. If anyone isn’t doing what they are supposed to, the other students yell “Respect! Respect!” It’s pretty cute! Seeing it all from a teachers eyes make for some cute moments. On Thursday I had 2 boys who were supposed to come in for my after school detention. As soon as the bell rang, they sprinted into my room. They ran to desks, huffed and puffed from running so fast, and looked up at me with such innocent eyes as they asked, “Ms. Jessie, what do you want us to do?” Of course I had to play teacher and be stern with them, but on the inside I was cracking up at how funny they were. 

No comments:

Post a Comment