Saturday, September 12, 2009

Class Time

  1. Before The Bell Journal
  2. Before The Bell Sharing
  3. Daily Samoan Lesson 
  4. Announcements
  5. Review
  6. Daily Lesson and Activities 
  7. Wrap Up
For the past 2 weeks I added a bit more to my pre-lesson class routine, and the kids have really taken to it! It’s added a bit more fun and liveliness to class that keeps them entertained and excited. Since day one, I established a “before the bell” journal. Right when they get into class, they begin writing about the creative journal topic for the day. I think they really enjoy getting to express themselves in this way, and I can already see  a noticeable improvement in their writing. Now, though, I’ve added in a sharing activity. After we are done journaling, I take out Mr. Lavalava (my fabric ball) and toss it to someone. They have to share at least part of their journal before choosing the next person to through it to. It’s such a simple activity, but it adds so much to class. The kids love the anticipation of who gets the ball next, they love hearing each other’s answers, the students learn from each other, and it allows for some really funny moments! The next thing we do is our daily samoan lesson. I have each class period teach me one new word or phrase each day! It’s helped me so much in learning the language, but it makes the students really proud. They love playing teacher, deciding what to teach me, then laughing when I mispronounce it a few times! 
The girls one period taught me “kaisi chaema” (kie-see  ch-ay-ma) which is slang for “cute boy.” After school one day, I was walking out the gates with Matt and Max when I heard, “Ms. Jessie, kaisi chaema!” 2 of my girls were using the chance to talk about the guys (their teachers as well) behind their backs. The girls like having young male teachers (just as the boys probably don’t mind having a 21 year old teacher) and knew that out of the three of us, only I would understand :) I just shook my head and gave them a small smile, and they erupted in laughter! 

No comments:

Post a Comment