Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Vote 4 Ethan

It’s political campaign time in Samoa, and the campaign process is not like the US. Wooden signs have sprung up all over the island with names to re-elect. Because the island is so small, the candidates even add a personal touch by standing on busy corners waving with one had and holding their “vote for me” sign in the other. 
As we were driving to work on Monday, we were coming up on a guy waving to us. Ethan slowed down thinking he wanted a ride, as I yelled for him to keep on going. Because he was watching the road for pot holes, coconuts, dogs, small children, and the other usual obstacles, Ethan failed to see the new “billboard” right behind the waving man. He wasn’t waving for a ride, but just to say “Hi. I’m friendly vote for me!”
(His outfit even matched the one he was wearing in his billboard picture!) 
On Tuesday, the man was there again..... this time he not only waved to say hi but waved for us to pull over. Confused about this whole campaigning on the side of the road situation, Ethan drove 50 feet past the man before realizing the subtleties in hand gesture that indicated he wanted to talk to us. Indecisive, Ethan put on the breaks, then decided to go. I had puzzled Ethan further by explaining to him the day before that they just want to wave at you. They aren’t going to ask you to stop. Whoops! 
On Wednesday, the politician was at it again. Except we had no time to stop and chat,we were running a bit late this time. A bit later in the morning I was sitting at my desk we who do I spot across the office!? Mr. Politician who waves in front of a billboard with a life size picture of himself! 
That’s right! He tracked us down..... Not that that is hard to do on a small island when we drive a car with the PiCED logo plastered across the front door. After my half day meeting, I went to check in with Ethan who was excited to fill me in on the rest of the story. Mr. Politician had tracked us down to find out if we were scared of him....he just wanted to talk. Ethan used the excuse that we are just “silly palagi without a clue,” and it seemed to satisfy just fine. As it turns out, Mr. Politician is the only other Ethan on island, Ethan Lake to be exact. It turns out that they bonded over this, and Ethan Lake had given us a few “Vote 4 Ethan” arm bands. (Fancy!) 
Because he took the time to find us at PiCED, I’d definitely vote for Ethan (to bad I’m not eligible here!)


No comments:

Post a Comment