Tuesday, October 19, 2010

SAT

I just got done teaching the Writing Section our first SAT Prep Class of the fall. The SAT Prep course is one of PiCED’s most in demand courses. Registration fills up on the first day, and there is always a line of people waiting to enroll next. I’ve been working hard to update the class, and I was excited to get back in the classroom. Our prep course runs after school for the 4-5 weeks prior to each SAT test date and gives the kids the practice they need before taking the actual test. I’ve been so impressed by the kids who have enrolled. They come to PiCED everyday after school for 2 hours of lessons and practice sections. Teaching again has brought back the frustrations of the school system. In 4 weeks we can’t teach the writing, reading, and math content, they need to perform well. All we can do is teach them test taking skills, prepare them for the type of questions that will be asked, and make them as comfortable with the test as possible. It’s hard to see high schoolers struggling with simple math and basic writing skills, but it has further encouraged me to continue working on a new PiCED program that will, hopefully, begin to bridge the gap. 
With so much to do between 8:00 am and 3:00pm, the SAT class has thoroughly worn me out. Students begin to arrive at 3:00, and I teach from 3:30-5:30. I don’t have time to grade during work, so each night I go home with a huge stack of papers in tow. Yay for 13 hour work days! On Saturday we had our first simulation exam. The students came in at 7:45, and I administered a full length exam. The simulations give the students great experience, but  they give me a ton of grading! I graded the SAT multiple choice questions by hand (+ the essays). After 9 hours of grading, I was finally done! Whew....Until next time! 
I’ve been watching the students scores slowly increase, and it’s been a real reward. Several days into the class, their writing practice scores nearly doubled! I can’t wait to see how much progress they make after spending a few more weeks on the math section with Ethan and the reading section with Lori!



Check out our new (and MUCH improved classroom)! 
The staff helped with the painting and I found some good stuff at a little teacher store here on island.)



No comments:

Post a Comment