Friday, October 1, 2010

Samoana Mr & Mrs. Pageant

Each high school throws a pageant to find their Mr & Mrs, so I brought Ethan to the annual Mr & Mrs Samoana Pageant this Thursday night.  Couples competed in several events: traditional costume & siva dance, talent, island sarong, formal wear & interview. Each couple competed together but was judged separately. At the end of the night, the individual girl and boy with the highest score were crowned the school’s Mr & Mrs. 
I was excited to see my old students and for Ethan to see some traditional performances. It turned out that I knew 3 of the 6 contestants well, and I was happy to cheer them on. 
The talent competition was exciting as 1 couple created a dance routine that incorporated styles throughout the decades. My favorite couple, Maelynn and Karl, created a Zumba dance/workout routine that was hilarious. 
One of the best performances of the night was a lip sync by a fa’fafine. We had seen her perform at the fa’fafine pageant, and she brought her a-game to Samoana. Her attitude packed routine brought the crowd to a roar. Ethan might have shed a few tears of laughter. 
At the end of the night and after a close vote, my favorite couple was crowned the Mr and Mrs. Congratulations Maelynn and Karl! 
 Couple #2: Milton & Lauren
Couple # 3: Maelynn & Karl 

No comments:

Post a Comment