Monday, July 6, 2009

Shopping, Packing, Planning

I am the world’s worst over packer! This isn’t such a great title for someone moving overseas with just the baggage allowed on an airplane ride. Mom and I once packed 9 bags for week long cruise. (2 of those bags consisted solely of shoes!) On a trip to the North Carolina beaches I over packed by about a month and a half’s worth of clothes, but my family got to experience my expert organizational style: clothes and jewelry neatly arrange in rainbow order. So how do I manage to pack for a year in 2 suitcases? 

On our several week trip through out Italy, Mom and I discovered the necessity of space bags. We were committed to traveling with only a small carry on suitcase and personal item! There would be no checking of luggage! Believe it or not, I fit 14 bottoms, 20 shirts, and 5 pair of shoes in that teeny tiny suitcase. So, I think space bags will, again, be my savior. (Let’s just hope!)

Recently I’ve been a shopaholic. I now have new Samoan wardrobe outfitted with floor and knee length skirts, light weight conservative tops, and plenty of sun glasses! (Samoa is a conservative nation, so little tank tops and shorts usually aren’t appropriate.) We also have made trips to the Container Store and Whole Earth for some super nifty travel items. I’m such a gadget nerd so I think I’ve stocked up on all the greatest inventions: itty biity toothbrushes pre loaded with  toothpaste for the plane, a neck pillow + blanket combo that folds up super small, a pocket size fold up tote bag, purse size umbrella (for the daily rain showers), pocket size just-add-water soap sheets. 

So I’m crossing my fingers and hoping everything will have a home in my suitcase when I go to zip it up on Friday! 
07.18.2009_LeavingForSamoa

No comments:

Post a Comment