Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Orientation Continues On

Orientation week 2 continues on. It’s been wet and rainy for the past few days, so we have stayed on campus quite a bit. During the day we have had more lectures and introductions to the education system here on the island. 
Yesterday KC and I were treated to a great island tour. Kaleo told us that he would drive us to the laundromat, and instead he pulled up to a house. He told us to go to the back and start our clothes. We would be doing it here since he figured all the laundromats would be full (very few Samoans have their own washer and dryer). After about 10 minutes at the house, he sneaks it in that we were at my new home! I don’t move there until Saturday afternoon, but I got a sneak preview! It’s a 2 bedroom house that my WorldTeach roomate, Julia, and I will be sharing. The house is on the main road in the village of Faleniu (Fall-lay-new). Our neighbor even teaches at our school! 
While waiting for our laundry, Kaleo told us were were going for a ride! He took us on a great, several hour trip around the west side of the island. His family owns several of the villages and one of the mountains, so he showed us the house he grew up in, all his relatives’ houses, and some great look out points. We also checked out a few of the schools some of our other friends will be teaching at. We picked up some bread at a small bakery and watched a game of women’s cricket. As we drove along the coast near Leone, we were amazing at the ocean - 12 foot swells and violent currents. 
After arriving back at VoTech (aka Nu’uuli HS, PolyTech- it has many names), Kate, Max, and I went for a sunset swim! The Pala Lagoon is directly across the street and entirely shallow so we walked out to the middle and were still only waist deep. 

After our evening swim, evening class session, and dinner, a big group of us caught the late showing of Harry Potter! Who knew this island would have a little 2 screen theater?  
Today has been a lazy day. We were given a chance to go check out our individual villages and schools so we would feel more comfortable on moving day... but since I ‘live’ in my school and had a personal tour of my house and village yesterday, there wasn’t much for me to do. But, hey, I might round out my day with some snorkeling out at Airport Beach. 

No comments:

Post a Comment