Wednesday, August 4, 2010

OCE Training

Yesterday we finished off a two day training session with the Office of Catholic education teachers. We were asked to kick off their orientation week with our Effective Teacher training courses. Sandra presented on Monday with a talk on Effective Schools and Total Instructional Alignment, and Tuesday was mine to cover Lesson Mastery. Since coming to Samoa to teach, I’ve learned a lot about educational theory and best practices, and I believe it’s important to share these ideas with the Samoan teachers. My of the island’s teachers hold the job simply because it offers a steady paycheck- they don’t particularly love children, or their subject, or teaching in an form or facet. Another section of the teacher population wants to do a good job, but they lack the education and training to know how to run an effective classroom. I’ve come to realize that what our teachers need most is not the theory but rather the practical tools and tips to help them get through their day and get through to their students. I formatted my presentation to include just that, the practical methods, strategies, and activities that work with Samoan kids who require a special set of instructional practices. Overall the workshop was a very rewarding experience. It was another was to help me get over more of my public speaking nerves.... speaking in front on 80 Samoan teachers makes my palms sweat a bit :) and I think that my lessons and general message really made an impact. Many of the teachers stopped on their way out to thank me for the workshop, but a very kind Sister left me with some thought provoking words, “Don’t go back to architecture, right here in education is where you need to stay.” It was heart warming to hear that she enjoyed the training but it builds upon the pile of reasons that lead me to believe that I will stay in education.

No comments:

Post a Comment