Monday, November 2, 2009

Tsunami Counseling

Today a group of 3 Christian missionaries came to meet with my group of tsunami kids. Their goal was to come in and facilitate a group discussion to help continuing the healing process. To be honest I was a bit skeptical, but I really liked how they ran the session. We split the kids into 2 groups of about 20. They first started out with a simple ice breaker: share your name and where you were at when the tsunami hit. From there they were asked to share their feelings during the disaster, their reactions immediately, how they are coping, and what good has come of this terrible event. While some of the kids weren’t able to talk about it yet, others were very forth coming and honest. The students were also given some helpful information on coping mechanisms, dealing with their PTSD, and how to help the symptoms (like reoccurring thoughts and nightmares) It was great to see them opening up and sharing with each other! A group of about 5 students stayed in my room all lunch period and we continued to talk about their lives post-tsunami. They said that they really got something out of the talk, and would like to do it again maybe every few weeks or so. After hearing that, I might lead a small “talk group” for those students interested just to provide a safe environment where they can express their feelings and know they won’t be judged. 
Though this post-tsunami situation is very difficult, I am very thankful that I have become close with this group of students. Not too many of them are in my classes, so I probably wouldn’t have had the opportunity to get to know them. My Fagasa gang of students are really special. They are such intelligent, sweet, honest, good-hearted kids. They love finding out more about American culture from me, and, in return, teaching me more of the small details of their Samoan culture. They have offered to take me to church with them and have invited me to their Sunday family events. They really want to take me to their village so they can show me around and show me how they are living now so that I can better understand what they are going through. I am truly grateful for being able to meet these kids. They have expressed great thanks for all my efforts, and all I can do is thank them back for returning the favor ten fold. 

No comments:

Post a Comment