Thursday, November 19, 2009

The Arrival (Mom’s Visit: Thursday)

(From Mom’s trip journal: Told from her perspective)
As we prepared for landing I was beyond excited. I felt like jumping up and down and telling the entire plane that I was going to see Jessie.  Jessie told me that we would get off the plane on the tarmac and that she would be able to see me from the viewing area. I was looking for her but couldn’t pick her out in the crowd.  I made it through immigration and customs inspection very quickly and was one of the first out the door.  Eyes focused on the crowd looking for my little palagie girl. There was Jessie, with a fresh flower lei for me and a giant hug. I couldn’t hug her enough and teared up with joy. It was so good to see her! Jessie negotiated the taxi fare then we loaded up my luggage and headed to the village of Mesepa where she lives. It was exciting and definitely another world.  At Jessie’s place I met her roommate, Julia, and then Jessie showed me her house and room and my sleeping spot. We chatted a while about the week ahead, then went to bed. Her house doesn’t have A/C so it is a bit balmy; at least she has a fan in her room. You just have to lie still and in the breeze.  As I laid there trying to fall asleep, all of a sudden the fan stopped. The power went off. Oh my gosh, it was so hot and humid without the fan!  Despite the heat I eventually went to sleep but woke up again before too long when I heard Jessie messing with the fan. She woke up because of the heat and was trying to figure out why the fan was off. We both managed to sleep some and eventually the power came back on. 
(My perspective)
I was so excited to see Mom at the airport. After seeing my friend Brigit get a visitor a month before, I was anxious for the airport experience. An Am Sam, everyone, and I mean everyone, comes to greet arriving family members. The airport was packed but I managed to squeeze and in get a good spot to watch Mom come out from customs! I was so anxious, but luckily she was one of the first ones out! Whew! We were both so excited, and it was amazing to have a my mommy dearest in Samoa. 
11.19.2009_Mom'sArrival

No comments:

Post a Comment