Thursday, October 22, 2009

Ra!Ra! Go Sharks!

As if being a first year teacher in a highly dysfunctional school system and running a relief project weren’t enough, I decided to take on the task of cheerleading coach! :) ( I can feel myself quickly falling back into my hectic, go-go-go, American lifestyle). Ok, not entirely, but I have just figured out that I am taking on a lot, and it is wearing on me a little! But what the heck! Fa’asamoa. I’m just going to roll with it and enjoy as many unique experiences as possible while here on The Rock. So earlier this week Dakota, another heavily involved teacher, asked me if I had any cheer/dance experience, and, well, I couldn’t lie. In fact, I have been tossing around the idea of getting involved with the cheerleading team. So I agreed to come in and start working with them on “cleaning,” as we say in dance, the routines. Rather than choreographing right now, I am just helping them take what they have and make it much, much better and precise. So my first day was on Thursday and I loved every second of it! The girls are great! I don’t think they are used to being pushed, and, of course, I come from the “Betsy-Heathcock-Angels-Craziness” so I’m all about hardcore work. I am definitely pushing them and making them practice harder than they ever have, but it’s paying off. With only  2 days of work, they are already looking so much better! It’s amazing! They have a performance next week, and I’m hoping to make some even bigger steps before then. Dakota, their usual coach/sponsor, is also so enthusiastic. She is a great motivator and is really excited about the changes. Soon the underdog Sharks will be #1. I can feel it! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment