Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Tearful Good-Byes

On Monday I broke the news to my administation and I spent Tuesday and Wednesday at school packing up and saying good-byes to the kids. I wanted to make sure I had at least 1 class period with each group of students to explain the situation and dish out lots and lots of hugs. My 4th period was first and I couldn't help but cry. Telling each of the next class periods gradually came a bit easier as the news spread through the school. In each class I had them create one more journal about their favorite memories through out the year, they helped me pack up the classroom, we took lots and lots of pictures, and we had one last awesome time together. The students' response was extremely touching and made for a perfect ending to my time as a Samoana teacher; I couldn't have asked for a better closing. The students made me feel appreciated and loved and they let me know that I had impacted each of them in some special way. After school the Faustus kids came in with a huge card and Joe performed a modified segment of the play altered to be about me. It was SO cute! Tonight I sat down to read all the notes that my kids had written for me and I couldn't help but cry one more time. I'll eventually have to write down and share some of their sweet words. 

If I could take all of them home to Texas I would. I joked that my mom will have to turn our front to spare bedrooms into bunk rooms so that I could bring back many of my students. Ahhh! I'm not ready to leave them! 

Tomorrow I have to do some last minute packing. We'll have our last Thursday night dinner as a group (this will be hard!), and then it will be off to the airport. Oh jeez!

No comments:

Post a Comment