Sunday, April 4, 2010

Leaving The Island

This has been one of the most difficult decisions of my life, but I'm having to leave the island. Since being here I have battled my thyroid condition, and it's progressed so badly that I have no choice but to go back to the States to get treatment. My extreme fatigue, dizziness, and weakness have left me barely able to teach, and I think I would be doing my health a disservice to stay. It's a heart breaking decision that I have been agonizing about. After many talks and tears, I've had to make the unimaginably hard decision leave. I'm so broken up about leaving my kids and missing the seniors' graduation, but I know it is for the best. I will leave on the Thursday flight out and will spend this week packing and saying good-bye. My goal is to go home and get better, so I can return at the end of the summer to accept a position at PiCED. I'm not ready to be done with the island just yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment