Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Rain Day

Rainy season is upon us. For the past few weeks it has been raining non stop. This week has been especially bad with it never seeming to let up. Day and night it rains and it pours. It’s never fun traveling too and from school in the rain but at least it stays cooler. 
This morning I got up and trudged in the rain to get to school. It took 15 minutes to catch a bus that wasn’t too full, so my skirt was soaked by the time I got on. (My shirt was mostly dry because of my rain jacket but the umbrella didn’t stop much else.) I got into my classroom and the sky unloaded. The wind and rain were at full force. It was impossible to hear anything but the roar of the storm. At 7:40 the school bells began to ring, and I figured that school was now cancelled. I ran (literally -to avoid the rain) to the office, and one of the VPs confirmed that school had been cancelled. The rain had been adding up and the morning’s storm was proving to be too much. The high winds weren’t helping, either. Much of the island was starting to flood and there were worries of landslides. 
Because the DOE is silly, teachers were still supposed to report to school and a staff meeting was called at 9 am. This is just because of the “clocking in and out to get your 8 hours” nonsense. The VP, though, told me I could leave. Since I don’t get paid, I am not on the same clocking system. After waiting the rain out for a few minutes in the gym, I managed to get on a bus back home. At 8:45 I arrived at my house, took off my soaked clothes, took a hot shower, and went back to sleep until 1pm. I've heard of snow days or ice days, but never rain days. I guess until you live in the rainforest of Samoa do you realize rain isn't just a hassle but it prevents you from going anywhere. 

Rain days are my new best friend. One a week would make life magnificent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment